Monday 7 July 2014

Books | The Silkworm- Robert Galbraith








 Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling's alias)  second crime novel, The Silkworm is a book I was really excited about reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the first, A Cuckoo's calling and was happy to see Galbraith continue the adventures of private detective Cormoran Strike's adventures! 

It's not necessary for you to read A Cuckoo's calling before The Silkworm, as although it does reference the former a fair bit throughout the book, none of the details are vital to the story. 

The Silkworm follows Strike as he tries to locate missing writer Owen Quine. I don't want to elaborate too much on the story, I don't want to give anything away! 

 I love a good crime book and this has all the ideal ingredients; a likeable rouge main character and an intricately woven plot line that has constant surprising twists and turns (which we know Galbraith is a master at, whatever name is on the front of the book!). Throughout The Silkworm you're drip fed little details and teasers of what's to come. Obviously the road ahead is not a smooth one for Strike and his secretary come assistant,  Robin, and I love the mixture of the professional and personal lives of these protagonists, and the stark reality they encompass. Things aren't tied up neatly or easily resolved and it feels quite gritty and true to life. Well, as true to live as a crime novel can be in my law abiding world! 

I recommended this book to my Dad, an ex policeman and avid crime reader. He blanched a bit when he realised Galbraith was Rowling's alias but once I'd assured him that wizards and dragons were nowhere to be seen he got stuck in, and finished it quickly with his seal of approval. 

I'd highly recommend this book for anyone who is a fan of crime and mystery! I wouldn't say it matters if you're a Harry Potter fan or not...I am and I can identify Rowling's writing style, but my Dad isn't and he enjoyed it just as much! 

Have you read anything by Robert Galbraith? Have you read any good crime books recently? Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment