Friday 8 November 2013

Room Tour

Another of my favourite posts to read/see are room tours as I think they’re so interesting and give me loads of great ideas! This room in my new house is really the first space I’ve had complete control over and I’m really really happy with how it turned out! It will be obvious to see that I got a lot of my inspiration from bloggers like Kate and Kayleigh but I still think my room is really special to me and I’m very proud of it. All the furniture is Ikea, kindly funded by my lovely, lovely Grandma as a kind of graduation/qualification/good luck in moving present; she’s one of my most favourite people ever and I could never ever thank her enough for her generosity.




The dressing table is probably my favourite piece in my room, the glass top makes it feel luxurious and it has a concealed drawer underneath for products I use a lot. I don't particularly like how cluttered the surface is at the minute so I'm currently on the hunt for a pretty storage unit to go next to it to put all my excess products in and clear the table up a bit.


This bedside table was probably a little impractical as it doesn't hold all that much but it looks good so I'm happy! I keep my essentials on here, my kindle, my dock and some hand cream are absolute necessities and my trinkets and photos are there to remind me how lucky I am to have such lovely people in my life! that photo of Jack and me was taken on our trip to Paris that he surprised me with on my 21st. Such lovely memories :)


This bed gave us the most trouble (side note: ensure you collect your stuff from exactly the right location otherwise you might find yourself with a kingsize bed instead of a double…ahem) but was worth it because it's so lovely and yet only cost just over £100! The bedspread is also from Ikea and I love snuggling up under it at night with my electric blanket on, it's so cosy! 


There are some of my favourite trinkets on the top of this chest of drawers; The piggy bank is from Next, the fetal skull is essential for theory practice (my Grandma knitted it a hat so it looks a bit less gruesome) and that gorgeous vintage lamp (which I am regretting not photographing in better detail) was a gift from Grandma as it's been standing unloved in her spare room for a while. I was going to get a lampshade for it but actually I quite like the look of the bare bulb! what do you reckon?


This is my view from my bed, some of my favourite photos of friends and family. The wire heart was a bargain from TK Maxx and holds memories of weddings, cards and tickets to add another personal touch to the room.

Having never been to Ikea before, it was a very exciting adventure and Jack and I had a great time wandering round the show rooms and testing out all the furniture! We borrowed enough tiny pencils to never have to buy another writing implement again and Jack sampled the hot dogs and coffee which he said were excellent.

Now, picking the furniture is all very well but it was the next day that the real fun began; building the bloody things. I have to say that Jack was a lifesaver and if it hadn’t been for him I would’ve given up and been sleeping on a mattress on the floor as my attention span is not the best and when something is both fiddly, physical and with 24 steps on its instructions it’s basically non-existant! So, glossing over the swearing, the sweating and the trip back to ikea, and 14 hours after we started, my new room had taken shape. It was so satisfying to see all the shiny white furniture in it’s place and I actually enjoyed unpacking my bits and pieces and really making it into my room.

What do you think? I’m struggling to stop myself buying useless trinkets and boxes and things to hang on my walls! Im really proud of it all and it makes settling in to my new home that much easier. I’ve most definitely got the Ikea bug and can’t wait to put lots of general homey things onto my ever growing Christmas list! Uh oh, my bank balance is shuddering at the thought...

4 comments:

  1. I love your dressing table, I really want something like that! x

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah your bedroom looks lovely - so calm and personal. I like the look of the bare bulb, the lamp looks gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ikea is the best! Can't believe that gorgeous bed frame was only £100! Next time you go, try the meatballs, you won't regret it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a little virtual snoop around people's bedrooms. It's lovely! I have those bedsheets too (or something like it - from Asda?) Happy to have found your blog this morning lady - it's lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete