Friday 5 September 2014

Books | 'Because she loves me' Mark Edwards.




After recently speaking to the lovely Mark Edwards (@mredwards) on twitter recently about my love for his first book The Magpies (if you haven't read it I seriously suggest you go and find it!) he kindly offered my the opportunity to review his new book 'Because she loves me' before it was released. 

I finished reading 'Because she loves me' in about 2 days. It's one of those books that grabs you and sucks you in until you're reading so fast you're missing bits out and you have to remind yourself to slow down (tell me it's not just me who does this?) 

Because she loves me is written from the male perspective of Andrew as he meets his seemingly perfect girl, Charlie. It's a book about jealousy and the destructive nature of that particular emotion. I also thought it portrayed well the idea that real monsters are closer to home than you care to imagine. There's lots of twists and turns in this book, the most surprising of which coming right at the end.

Now I'm all for plot twists and I'm never one to turn my nose up at a surprise ending but I found the end of 'because she loves me' was such a total twist that it fell a bit flat for me. I think maybe I was so caught up in how I thought it was going to end that I was disappointed I was so wrong! Saying this, it didn't ruin the book for me at all, I loved the suspense and the ambiguity of everything that happened. Edwards is very good at weaving a thick plot web so you're never sure what's going on or what's coming up! The characters are genuine and believable and I found myself really liking Andrew and enjoyably disliking Charlie, which I'm sure is the intended effect! 

Let me know what you think if you give 'because she loves me' a read! It's well worth it and if you can guess the twist at the end I'll give you a pound*! 



*i won't actually be giving anyway any money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment