Wednesday 17 September 2014

Life | Harry Potter's Biggest Fan?


(Photo Pinterest) 


Ask anyone I know and they'll tell you I'm a die hard lover of the Wizarding world, and I'll make no apologies for that. Ever since I read "Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much" I was hooked into JK Rowlings magical world. I grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione and they taught me a lot. I remember devouring the first few books from a young age and then awaiting the next one with a violent impatience. It became, and had remained an obsession. I've got the books in every format possible, and several copies of the films. I've been to the studio tour twice, and have the Deathly Hallows tattooed on my foot. But I know that being a Harry Potter fan isn't about the material possessions you've got...it's about really living and loving the stories and continuing to learn from them every time you read them.

When I saw a tweet asking for Harry Potters biggest fans to make themselves known I instantly fired off an email to get involved. To celebrate the opening of Diagon Alley in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the people at Florida4Less are trying to find the ultimate Harry Potter fan. So here's my entry! A little poem. I hope my complete adoration for JK Rowling and the world she created is clear from my effort! 


Magic is why I love Harry Potter. 
Magic is what drew me in.
Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin.
The Wands and the brooms, 
The magical rooms
The wizards and witches and spells. 
I was hooked.

Friendship is what I learnt from Harry Potter.
Friendship is what kept me there.
As solid as a Bludger, hurtling through the air, 
he protected them and they fought for him. 
Even when he had no plan, only Ron did despair 
(But he came back. Dumbledore knew he would care)
They followed him into the unknown and never left his side. 
That is the pride,
the loyalty of Gryffindor. 

It excited me, I felt they were my friends too and we were in this journey,
travelling this unknown path together.
From Hogsmeade to the Forest of Dean
Whatever the weather, 
The trio of friends were on a quest, 
And it was up to me, the reader to invest 
my time and my childhood to reading along. 
Rowling didn't just write about magic, she weaved actual magic 
with her pen as her wand. 

I couldn't get enough. 
I'd lock myself in my room for hours, 
Imagining myself in Hogwarts, the astronomy tower.
Lost in the adventures and triumphs and heartbreak 
of the boy who lived. 
The misfit with the most honourable aim,
to die for love. 
Who just strolled into the head of a woman on a train
who wrote for us. 
Exquisite. The world she has created, the evil she has slain, 
how can something so intricate, so detailed 
Be encapsulated by just a name.
Harry Potter. 

Even now, as an adult it is the world that I love, 
The notion that imagination was my most powerful spell, 
And friendship the most potent potion
you could have. 
It wasn't the Death eaters, or the Dementors or the Dark Lord 
the twists and the turns, the action galore.
It was a boy! The chosen one, The Boy Who Lived that won!
The Potters' son. 
In a story about loyalty, bravery, courage and heart
Where from the start he faced adversity and hell
That in the end, he taught me
"All was well."

"Whether you return by page or by screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home"




1 comment:

  1. I love Harry Potter, too. Love magic and broom stick ^^

    ReplyDelete